Posted on | December 31, 2010 | No Comments
All right, let’s go. I can hardly abstain from celebrating the advent of 2011 with a list of predictions of my own. We’ll get back to it by the year’s end… Of course this post may vanish mysteriously if its content happens to stray too far from reality.
1) The weather will put on quite a show. We’re expecting a balmy 7 degrees Celsius in Montreal tomorrow… somewhat unusual for January 1, needless to say as the average is nearer to -7. Uncommon temperature drops and spikes should be more frequent in 2011. At least we’ll have something to talk about…
2) We’ll still be sucked in the old Right vs. Left debate. There are no friends to be made with politics, and pseudo-libertarians will keep on arguing with lefties. The conflict will be made worse as it also brings in the traditional opposition between Quebec City and Montreal, and even Trash Radio vs. The Clique du Plateau. Still, it is but a pale imitation of the situation described below:
3) American political discourse will get even more radical. Fox News now has a bigger audience than MSNBC and CNN combined. When you know the horrendous editorial policies of Fox News and their effect on audiences (see my previous post) you can only expect the worse.
4) Intelligent life won’t be found elsewhere in the universe. It isn’t that they aren’t trying. But cynics will add that the presence of intelligent life on Earth remains highly debatable.
5) Québécois will be called to the polling booths. Ok, I’ll go out on a limb and venture to say that Stephen Harper will try to benefit from Michael’s Ignatieff complete failure as a political leader to call a general election. Either that, or provincial politics will take a turn for the worse, forcing Charest to get back on the streets, campaigning for another mandate. This may be caused by the next item on this list:
6) Corruption stories will get even juicier. Various police inquiries are on-going. The mafia is badly shook up and fragile. Journalists will comb every piece of paper they can get for a scoop. Expect to hear about corruption a lot in the next weeks.
7) The end of the world will become fashionable (again). The movie 2012 was just an appetizer. The economy isn’t making the expected comeback; a weakness hich encourages doomsday scenarios. You only have to bear with it for two years until they find a more encouraging topic.
8) Elvis will be found! No, he wasn’t living on a deserted island all these years. He was incarcerated as a political prisoner in North Korea and subjected to a political re-education program. You’ll never hear Jailhous Rock the same way again.
9) Gas prices will keep on climbing. Oh look, ‘tis already the case!
10) The Montreal Canadian will not win the Stanley Cup. Downtown store-owners will breathe a little easier.